Major Elite Special Needs Pushchair
The Maclaren Major Elite is designed specially for the older/larger child who is not able to walk or, more likely, can walk...but either not far enough or reliably in the direction which you want to go.
The Major Elite covers an age range from say 2 years to 8 years, although suitability is more about size rather than age. This larger model is based on the standard Maclaren 'umbrella style' folding strollers, the Major Elite is essentially just a larger 'beefed up' version. It has an adjustable footplate which can be positioned at three levels to suit the child's leg length so the pushchair can grow with the child.
The Major Elite has relatively small 7" wheels which are best suited to smooth urban surfaces, rougher surfaces - a cobbled street or park will prove a challenge especially for the older or heavier child. On the other hand the relatively small 'footprint' of the Major Elite makes it much more suitable than other pushchairs for use around town, inside shops or other places indoors, e.g. School.
Robustly made with an aluminium frame the Major Elite is sturdy but still reasonably lightweight. It is tested for a child up to 50kg BUT do not rely on this 'potential' capacity as most children would outgrow it dimensionally (especially in the leg length) before reaching that weight. We tend to find that most children of say 35kg at around eight years old will be outgrowing the leg length. It would also be difficult to push if fully loaded as the wheels do not have bearings. For information on pushchairs for a child who has outgrown the Major Elite see What Next.
We recommend that you assess the suitability of the Major Elite dimensions rather than relying on either age or weight alone...and if in doubt please call us on the number at the top of this page, we are always pleased to talk to you.
The Major Elite has a basic warranty which can be upgraded FREE to the Maclaren Sovereign Lifetime Warranty but do be aware that this only covers defects of manufacture not 'wear and tear'. It is designed for a child who is happy to be in the pushchair - both the warranty and the safe working load may be significantly reduced if the child is not a co-operative occupant.
The Major Elite pushchair is not 'Crash Tested' it cannot be used for transporting a child in a vehicle.
Whilst the Major Elite may be used for someone with special needs the seat may be unsuitable if they have a physical disability which requires postural support management, although we can supply the Back2Go Back & Head Support. If in doubt please seek the advice of your physiotherapist.
- maximum weight limit 100lbs, 7 stone, 45kg (but check dimensions)
- lightweight but robust aluminium frame
- five point harness, shoulder height adjustable four levels
- dual rear wheel parking brakes
- low maintenance - wipe clean (sponge-able) fabrics, tough plastic non pneumatic wheels (no punctures !)
- basic warranty can be upgraded to a Lifetime Warranty FREE
- 7" wheels - rear fixed, front swivel
- hard 'tyres' NO suspension
- good manoeuvrability in small places, best on smooth surfaces
- three position footplate to suit child leg length
- location slots for fitting foot straps (not supplied)
- has to be removed before folding (not complicated)
- exposed position for the child, lacks privacy but this may be improved by adding a sun hood
Maclaren make a couple of 'special needs' accessories for the Major Elite:
We can also supply:
There are the usual Maclaren accessories you would expect for a pushchair to make it comfortable for your child and practical for you:
In addition we can supply: